Long-Term Disability Insurance Claims – Ottawa, Ontario
At McNally Gervan, we understand that facing a long-term disability can be a challenging and life-altering experience. Dealing with insurance companies and navigating the claims process can add even more stress to an already difficult situation. Our experienced team of long-term disability lawyers is here to guide you through the complexities of long-term disability insurance claims.
Contact Us Today
Support and Guidance for Long-Term Disability Insurance Claims
When unexpected circumstances leave you unable to work due to a long-term disability, having the right insurance coverage in place can provide much-needed financial support. Long-term disability insurance is designed to provide benefits if you are unable to perform the duties of your occupation for an extended period due to illness, disease or injury.
Unfortunately, disputes between people and their insurance companies are common. With respect to long-term disability claims, the dispute usually arises when the insurance company disagrees with a claimant (and sometimes with their doctors) and does not accept that they are “totally disabled”.
In such cases, the claimant may have only two options: either return to work against his or her doctor’s orders, or sue the insurance company for the benefits that have been denied. The lawyers at McNally Gervan are experienced at helping people whose claims for long term disability benefits have been denied.
Understanding Long-Term Disability Insurance
Long-term disability insurance acts as a safety net, offering peace of mind by ensuring you have income replacement during times of hardship.
Long-term disability coverage is typically offered through group policies provided by employers or purchased individually. Understanding the terms of your coverage, such as the waiting period and benefit period, is essential to plan for your financial future.
Common Reasons for Long-Term Disability Claims
Long-term disability insurance claims are initiated for various reasons, arising when individuals face disabling conditions that hinder their ability to work. Some of the most common reasons for filing such claims include:
- Serious Illnesses: Many claims are initiated due to severe illnesses, such as cancer, heart disease, or neurological disorders that can significantly impact a person’s ability to perform their job.
- Chronic Medical Conditions: Long-term disability insurance is often utilized when individuals suffer from chronic medical conditions such as diabetes, arthritis, or chronic pain that persist over an extended period, making it difficult or impossible to perform their employment duties.
- Accidents and Injuries: Disability claims can result from accidents or injuries that cause severe physical impairments, limiting a person’s mobility and preventing them from engaging in their usual work activities.
- Mental Health Conditions: Mental health issues, including depression, anxiety, and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), are common reasons for long-term disability claims, as they can significantly affect a person’s ability to function in a work environment.
- Neurological Disorders: Certain conditions, such as multiple sclerosis, Parkinson’s disease, and other neurological disorders may necessitate long-term disability benefits due to their progressive nature and impact on cognitive and physical abilities.
- Back and Spine Problems: Chronic back pain, spinal injuries, or degenerative spine conditions can lead individuals to seek long-term disability benefits when these issues severely limit their ability to work.
- Chronic Fatigue and Fibromyalgia: Conditions that cause chronic fatigue, such as fibromyalgia or chronic fatigue syndrome, can be debilitating and often warrant long-term disability insurance claims.
- Organ Transplants and Other Serious Surgeries: Recovering from organ transplants or other major surgical interventions can require extended periods of time away from work, leading individuals to file long-term disability claims to ensure financial support during their recovery.
It is important to note that the list present above is not exhaustive–other conditions and circumstances can justify long-term disability claims. However, individuals should familiarize themselves with the details of their insurance policy to get a better understanding of the specific conditions and situations stipulated by their policies.
Benefits of Having Long-Term Disability Insurance
Long-term disability insurance offers essential financial stability and peace of mind during challenging circumstances. If you experience a disabling condition that prevents you from working for an extended period, this insurance can be a lifeline, ensuring you can maintain your standard of living and meet daily expenses.
It also serves as a safety net for your dependents, providing financial support to take care of their needs while you focus on recovery. Without the burden of lost income, you can concentrate on your health and well-being, knowing that you have a reliable source of income to sustain you and your loved ones.
Ready To Get Started?
The Long-Term Disability Claim Process
The long-term disability insurance claims process can be complex and challenging to navigate. At McNally Gervan, we are here to guide you through every step and ensure that you have the support you need during this difficult time.
- Initial Filing: The process begins by filing a claim with your insurance company. This involves submitting all relevant documentation, including medical records, doctor’s reports, and any other evidence that supports your disability claim. Our experienced lawyers can assist you in gathering and organizing this essential information to strengthen your case.
- Review and Evaluation: Once your claim is submitted, your disability insurance provider will review and evaluate the information provided. They may request additional documents or conduct an independent medical examination to assess your disability. It is crucial to have skilled legal representation during this stage to ensure that your claim is properly evaluated and not unfairly denied.
- Claim Decision: After a thorough review, the insurance company will make a decision on your claim. Unfortunately, many legitimate claims are initially denied or undervalued. If the insurance company denies your claim, don’t lose hope – you have the right to appeal the decision, and our team can help you through the appeals process.
- Appeals Process: Appealing a denied claim requires a detailed understanding of insurance law and the ability to present strong legal arguments. Our knowledgeable long-term disability lawyers have extensive experience in handling appeals and will work tirelessly to present your case in the most compelling way possible.
- Resolution: With skilled legal representation, you increase your chances of a successful resolution or settlement of your claim. Our goal is to secure the benefits you are entitled to, including past and future benefits, and ensure that you receive the financial support you need to cover medical expenses and living costs.
Throughout the claims process, our team will provide personalized assistance, keeping you informed at every stage. We are dedicated to ensuring that your rights are protected, and we will fight vigorously to achieve the best possible outcome for your long-term disability claim.
Why Insurance Companies Deny Claims
When individuals file for long-term disability benefits, they often encounter several issues when dealing with insurance companies. One common challenge is the denial of claims. Insurance companies may deny claims for various reasons, leading to prolonged and frustrating disputes.
Some of the most common reasons for claim denials include discrepancies in medical records, lack of sufficient evidence of disability, missed deadlines for filing claims, pre-existing conditions, or disputes over the severity of the disability.
Insurance companies may also attempt to limit benefits or pressure claimants into accepting lower settlement offers. They might question the legitimacy of the disability or argue that the claimant’s disability is not severe enough to warrant long-term benefits. Policyholders may also face delays in receiving benefits due to administrative inefficiencies or excessive paperwork requirements.
How McNally Gervan Can Help with Denied Claims
At McNally Gervan, our team of experienced long-term disability lawyers is dedicated to assisting individuals whose claims have been denied. We understand the intricacies of insurance claims and have a proven track record of handling numerous successful long-term disability cases.
In certain instances, insurance companies may be liable to compensate disabled individuals for the distress resulting from denied claims. Alternatively, if an insurer’s behavior is severely problematic, it can constitute a breach of their obligation to act in good faith toward the policyholder. In these situations, punitive damages might also be imposed on the insurer.
If your claim is denied, we will carefully evaluate the reasons for the denial and develop the best strategy for appeal. Our primary objective is to ensure that you receive the benefits you are entitled to under your policy.
Guiding You Through the Appeals Process
Navigating the appeals process can be daunting, but our lawyers will guide you every step of the way. We will assist you with internal appeals, representing you with compelling legal arguments to increase the likelihood of a successful outcome. If necessary, we are prepared to take your case to court and pursue legal action against insurance companies that act in bad faith.
Our experienced lawyers are well-versed in recognizing bad faith practices and will take appropriate action when necessary. Holding insurance companies accountable for unfair practices that affect your claim is essential to ensure that you receive the benefits you are entitled to. Our dedication to fighting for your rights and pursuing fair treatment drives us to pursue litigation when it is in your best interest.
You don’t have to face the challenges of a denied claim alone. Our experienced long-term disability lawyers will work tirelessly to advocate for your rights and ensure you receive the benefits you deserve. We understand the stress and frustration that come with claim denials, and we are here to provide the legal support and representation you need to obtain the compensation you are entitled to.
Recovering Entitled Long-Term Disability Benefits
We are committed to calculating and maximizing your long-term disability benefits. Our experienced lawyers will diligently work to determine the past and future benefits you are entitled to and strive to secure the maximum benefits possible. Our primary aim is to provide you with the financial support necessary to cover your medical expenses and living costs during this challenging time.
Understanding the actual cash value of your insurance and its impact on coverage limits is also a key part of our process. Our team will carefully explain the terms of your policy and make sure you are fully informed about the benefits available to you. By providing you with a clear understanding of your insurance coverage, we empower you to make well-informed decisions about your claim and pursue the best possible outcome.
Contact McNally Gervan for a Free Consultation
If you’re facing a long-term disability claim, our team is here to offer the support and guidance you need. During your free consultation, our experienced long-term disability lawyers will carefully assess your case, address any concerns you may have, and offer tailored advice based on your individual circumstances.
We recognize that each long-term disability claim is distinct, and our commitment to providing personalized assistance remains unwavering. Our lawyers will work closely with you, ensuring that our approach aligns with your unique needs and objectives.
Disability Insurance Claim Articles
But Your Doctors Say You Are Still Disabled? It is not uncommon for doctors and insurance companies to have differing opinions about returning to work. Usually, the disagreement about eligibility for ongoing long-term disability benefits occurs when the...
If you are injured in an accident or suffer a sickness/illness that prevents you from attending work, you may have access to short-term and long-term disability coverage through your employer or other private insurance coverage. This coverage replaces your income...
Speak With a Disability Insurance Lawyer Today
McNally Gervan is dedicated to helping individuals navigate the complexities of long-term disability insurance claims. Our experienced team of lawyers is here to ensure that you receive the benefits you deserve and that your rights are protected throughout the claims process.
We are here to guide you through this challenging journey and will work tirelessly to secure the benefits you need to get your life back on track. If you have suffered a long-term disability and need assistance with your insurance claim, we are here to help.