Every year, thousands of people slip and fall on public sidewalks and in and around Ottawa. In many instances, these falls do not cause serious injury, or any injury at all. Unfortunately, many people are not so lucky, and their falls result in serious injuries and ongoing problems. In some cases, people get up and carry on their way, and only later discover that they have suffered an injury and require medical attention.
There are a number of things we can all do to avoid slipping and falling in bad conditions, and they are mostly common sense:
- Wear suitable boots or shoes with good treads
- Keep an eye out for icy or other slippery conditions
- Don’t run or walk quickly in bad conditions
- Keep your hands free if possible and use rails or other supports if available
But even where pedestrians are careful, accidents can happen, and when they result from dangerous, slippery conditions, people should be aware of what to do next:
- Seek immediate medical attention if there is any injury at all
- Document the scene if possible by taking photographs of the conditions
- Get the contact information for anyone who witnessed the accident.
If the fall occurs on a municipal (city) sidewalk, it is very important to notify the city promptly, and that means immediately. If you do not put the city on notice promptly, you may not be able to pursue a claim for compensation. You can do this via the City of Ottawa’s website. If you are not sure if the sidewalk is owned by the City, consult with a lawyer immediately. The requirement to provide notice to anyone who might be legally responsible is very important.
Depending on your injuries and circumstance, you may qualify for compensation from the city of Ottawa or whoever was responsible for the maintenance and repair of the sidewalk. At McNally Gervan we have a proven track record with slip and fall cases.
The City of Ottawa’s Liability for Sidewalk Slip and Falls
Cities and municipalities in Ontario are responsible for the maintenance and upkeep of public sidewalks. The city of Ottawa must take reasonable care to prevent injuries when residents use the city sidewalks.
Slip and Fall Compensation
Slip and fall compensation is dependant on several factors that include:
- Medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Property damage
- Lost opportunities/experiences
Seeking the advice of an Ottawa personal injury lawyer at McNally Gervan has the following benefits:
- Familiarity with the legal process
- The right legal advice for slip and fall injuries
- Adherence to deadlines and the claims process
- Building a stronger case for compensation
- Negotiation with the City of Ottawa and insurance companies
- Peace of mind
- We only get paid if you get paid
Let us help to determine if you have a valid case. If you have a question or need assistance, our team of personal injury lawyers is here to help. Contact us for a free consultation.